Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Birthday Dinner Version 1.0


Diner at Le Bistro.

After sailing out of Vancouver, we spent two nights and a whole day at sea on the way to our first stop Ketchikan. Neil's birthday was on the evening before we docked in Ketchikan.

I actually made reservations at Le Bistro, the French specialty restaurant, immediately after we boarded. I gave very specific directions for a birthday cake to be presented after dinner.

Here's a tip: If you book a reservation at any of the specialty restaurants from 9pm onwards, the surcharge is cut in half. Some menu items, sushi and teppanyaki will still have an additional charge.


The menu was well presented and the chargers were Versace! Nice!

For starters, Neil had Lobster and Scallop Martini and I had Escargot. No pictures cuz we inhaled it before I remembered to whip out the camera.

While we were having appetizers, Les Riley, the Hotel Director, stopped by for a chat and we talked about how the ship works and he shared little tidbits about his staff (around 947 in housekeeping alone, in addition to the Food & Beverage staff) and how the ship generates enough electricity for a small town.

For my entrees, I ordered TWO entrees (I have a feeling if I ordered every entree on the menu, they would have brought it).

The first one was a Mediterranean Fish Soup Bouillabaise style (below). The broth tasted a little bit too "canned tomato soup" for my taste.



The second entree I had was the Grilled Beef Tenderloin and Braised Short Rib. It's a Beef Combo! The Tenderloin wasn't memorable but the short rib was heavenly.


Neil had the Filet of Atlantic Salmon in Shrimp Crust. It was nice but the veggies were tastier than the fish.


So after all that, I am eagerly awaiting for my surprise to unfold – the presentation of the birthday cake and the waitstaff singing Happy Birthday.

I was really SURPRISED when the cake did not materialize! WTF???

When I returned to our cabin, I whipped out a scathing little note to my new BFF, Les Riley about the ruination of the birthday dinner. Quelle Horreur!

No comments: